Thursday, August 23, 2012

Joining military with Visian ICL/Lasik?

Long story short, I'm 22yrs old and was DQ'd 4 years ago for my vision at MEPS (waiver denied), I am now thinking of getting corrective surgery and trying again. I went for a consult and they said I could get the Visian ICL (like a contact that goes under the eye) then LASIK on top, which gives me a 98% chance of achieving 20/20.

While reading about military vision standards on About.com, I read the following regarding medically disqualifying things:

Current aphakia (379.31), history of lens implant, or current or history of dislocation of a lens is disqualifying.

LASEK and LASIK is disqualifying if any of the following conditions are present:

(1) Pre-surgury refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters.

(2) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and MEPS medical examination.

(3) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.

(4) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by (a) At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and (b) At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one of the comparison refractions.

IDK about refractive errors or anythning, but the doc told me after the exam that my numbers were 10.75 or something

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in this matter? Joining the NAVY is 85% of the reason for me getting the surgery (not to be a pilot or SEAL or anything)
>>> Joining military with Visian ICL/Lasik?