Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tired of Living With Thick Glasses.?

Since I was about 7 years old, I was diagnosed with chronic uveitis (JRA related). The disease prompted my parents to purchase prescription glasses so adjust my eyesight. About 2 1/2 years later, cataract surgery was performed on my eyes and my optical lens was removed without the implementation of a synthetic lens. The absence of any lenses inside my eyes were what led to me first getting my powerful bifocals. About a year afterwards, I was also diagnosed with glaucoma, and so tube shunts were placed into my eyes to alleviate pressure and prevent any further damage to my eyesight.

I lived through middle school and high school with those same glasses, and my experience was about as pleasant as you'd expect.Name-calling, prejudgments, inability to get girls lol etc etc.It's like people look at me completely differently and have so many preconceived notions about me just based on my glasses… And I'm so sick of it. Just because I've got thick glasses automatically makes me something or puts me in a certain category, and it's prevented me from so many things socially… It's hard to even look directly at people because I know they'll judge me. I've tried contacts, but they're so difficult for me to put in… It literally felt impossible because my eyes would not stop fidgeting. But I can't keep living like this… I always wonder what my life would be like without these glasses, and I want to find out.

I've discussed monofocal lens surgery with my doctor, but he said it is only a viable solution once inflammation in the eyes has been quiet for at least 6 months.So if they're not quiet on the next check-up, I'm basically screwed? I can't accept that, and I'm tired of accepting a life like this.It's just been so difficult to cope with the social barriers that these glasses have placed before me, and I don't know how much longer I can bear it
Added (1). Basically my question is how do I improve my situation? Is there any practical way for me to get my glasses off in any reasonable amount of time? Do I really have to accept this reality?
>>> Tired of Living With Thick Glasses.?