Wednesday, January 9, 2013

IS MY MUM GOING BLIND!

Well my mum had an eye test at boots opticians (in the uk). She is in her 50's and has been presbyopic (long-sighted) for quite a long time. I think her presbyopia (long-sightedness) has reached it's full, meaning that her lens cannot focus at all and that light rays focus from near objects focus behind the retina, and that she can only read very large print without squnting. Not only does she need reading glasses for reading but also for other close up tasks such as sewing and cutting her nails.

Well her near vision has stayed the same (I think) but the optician tested her distance vision and said she isn't seeing quite as well at distance as she used to. She says she's noticed a slight deteriation too, and I'm guessing she's seeing around 20/30. She only got tested last year, and there was nothing about distance viision mentioned. The optician said that alough she's long-sighted, distance vision can deteriate with aging as well as near vision. She hasn't got distance glasses, as her vision isn't bad enough to need them. But still, This really got me thinking…

I've done a lot of research on the eye and know basically how it works. Light enters through the cornea, then gets focused through the cornea and lens and onto the retina (if the eye is perfect). I know there are many common conditions which affect vision: near/far sightedness, aging farsightedness (presbyopia), astigmatism, colour blindness ect, and that are are all due to some component of the eye not functioning at it's best. Because there is such a lot to go wrong, very few people will have a theroetically "perfect eye", even though they may be seeing 20/20. For example, I have 20/40 vision (short-sighted) and have slight colour blindness too, but I get along fine just wearing glasses when they really help.

Anyway, back to the question, I've found nothing on the web that says that distance vision deteriates with age, in fact it can even improve in short sighted people. I've found many websites saying that near vision and age, cataracts ect, but nothing about distance vision and age. I know that poor eyesight is associated with getting older, but not disatnce vision. This got me worried. Why has her distance vision recently deteriated at middle age? I thought it was just near vision. Could her vision get worse? If so could it be corrected by glasses? The optician just said it's because of aging, but I've found nothing on the web about it.

PLZ HELP!!!
>>> IS MY MUM GOING BLIND!