Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I can't stand wearing contact lenses anymore. Suggestions?

I have extremely bad vision (around 20/300) and have worn contact lenses for about 6 years now. However, since I've worn them they've given me nothing but trouble. There is the occasional period where I have no trouble with them, but I'd say at least 50% of my total time with contacts, they've been nearly unwearable due to causing constant irritation, pain, and even infections.

Early on I admittedly didn't take good care of my contacts, but over the last few years I've taken them out every night, cleaned them with saline solution, etc. (They're soft contact lenses.) But it seems like there is always something wrong with them, and many, many times I've "burnt through" several boxes of them (wasting money) due to a sudden bout of pain. I feel like I've had extremely bad luck with contacts, as my family and friends who wear them never have any problems at all, while here I am constantly having to take them out, only wear one, wear both and grit through the pain, etc. I've tried a few different brands of contacts, and all have brought middling results: sometimes fine, sometimes extremely irritating and/or excruciatingly painful.

In general, it's just been an extremely frustrating experience. I've had multiple bouts of pink-eye and eye infections, including an ongoing infection right now that has forced me to wear glasses since early September and will force me to wait another month until I can wear my lenses again. And although it doesn't strictly have to do with my contacts alone, there was even an episode towards the end of March to early April this year where my family accidentally bought me Clear Care solution instead of saline solution, and I burnt my eyes very badly with hydrogen peroxide, leaving my almost blind for over a week. (No lasting damage, though… thank god!) I feel like I've had just terrible luck with my contacts and eyes, and I'm sick of all the years of irritation and pain.

For the record, I do have glasses (like I mentioned above), but I don't prefer to wear them, as I play a sport and they're huge and dorky. I've been wearing glasses for a month and a half now, and while they're serviceable, I'd much rather avoid wearing them permanently.

So what are my options? Obviously there's Lasik surgery.Is this safe? I've looked into it somewhat (not that I would be able to afford it, because my family is poor) but the chance of complications occurring seems unclear to me. I mostly just need to vent right now, because I discovered yesterday how bad my current eye infection is and how long it will take before I can wear my lenses again. Can anyone help out a troubled contact lens wearer?
>>> I can't stand wearing contact lenses anymore. Suggestions?