Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Can't get my soft contact lenses in AT ALL, help?

I'm a 23 year old guy who is struggling with soft contact lenses.My eye doctor gave me some soft toric contact lenses to practice with until I got the hang of them. With my eye doctor's help I was able to put them in and take them out. I was surprised by how comfortable they were and how clear my vision was without glasses. Since then I have had ZERO luck at putting them on by myself.

There are a lot of tips out there(some of which are helpful, others not so helpful) and I feel like as a guy, its a little harder to get used to wearing contacts as opposed to a girl, who use make-up & touch their eyes more often. Here's what I'm having issues with:

1) The biggest obstacle for me is keeping my eyelids open. I have a strong reflex to blink, which makes it hard to hold them open without either scratching the eyelid with my nails or accidentally poking my eye with one of my fingers.As I have practiced, my right eye appears to be getting easier to hold open but the left closes almost as soon as I get into position.

2) Once I have a good grip on my eyelids, I find that the contact lens won't come off of my finger onto the eyeball. I keep getting conflicting advice that my "fingertip should be dry/or moist" and "I should forcibly press the lens onto the eyeball/or let it gently adhere to the eyeball".

3) I find it extremely difficult to watch what I am doing with my contacts while trying to insert them at the same time. Using a mirror at different angles doesn't seem to help much either because I feel like it makes it harder for me to concentrate on placing the lens. I have a tendency to close my other eye when it is not being used to place the contact lens in.

4) Looking directly at the contact lens on my finger as I am placing it onto the eye triggers my eyelids to shut. Not only that but my eye feels more sensitive this way. I have heard that placing the lens on the whites of your eyes is easier or that looking up/down or to the sides is good too, but I more often than not wind up placing the lens on an eyelash rather than the eyeball that way!

Its been about 2 weeks since I was able to successfully get my contact lenses in. I have been seriously wondering if its worth pursuing this option any longer, but eye surgery is not something I can do right now and I hate my glasses. Its frustrating and I keep hearing folks say "practice makes perfect" so any advice you may have is appreciated!

См. статью: Can't get my soft contact lenses in AT ALL, help?