Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Best lenses or solution for high plus prescription glasses?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Background on problem:
I have +12.50 prescription glasses in Hidrop lenses that I'm told are not made anymore. They are clear light weight with no distortion and the thinnest glasses I've ever owned. They are now 10yrs old. I have been trying to get new glasses and the first pair they tried to put me in polycarbonate which was horrible very bad distortions, blue and yellow glows, and blurry. The response I get was wear them for awhile you will get used to them. I then returned them and went for a second opinion I should mention the above prescription was +13.00 for the polycarbonate.So the new place wanted to do a second eye exam so I did and this time I came back with a +12.25. I tried to do some research online and found that aspheric lenses would be good but I wanted to see what they said. They suggested the aspheric 1.67 so they picked out the frames and now that they've come back I still can't see out of them. They are not as bad as the polycarbonate but still distorted like in a fish bowl, blue and yellow glows out of the peripherals, and words are blurry or out of focus if you will. I see much clearer and better out of my 10yr lenses and the response I get is give them two weeks you will see better out of them.

Question 1:
Is there nothing out there that compares with the Hidrop lenses? I try to find anything on them and the only thing I get on google that seems remotely close is on a forum where only optometrists can register.

Question 2:
Is aspheric lenses the best I can do and am I really just going to "get used to them"? that seems unlikely to me when I can't read with them I can understand getting used to the distortion or colors but I can't understand getting used to not being able to read

Question 3:
the main reason I wanted new glasses was for better reading. When going out I usually wear my contacts but they are thick and with long use give me headaches.Is it possible to split a prescription between contacts and glasses. For example having a +5.00 contacts and then sitting at the machine like you would be getting fitted for glasses. Say +7.00. I asked once and they said it would screw up my depth perception but I have a lazy left eye that I don't really see out of and the glasses they are trying to put me in are so distorted my depth perception is already messed up. The second optometrist I asked said "Hmm".
Added (1). Concerning Cataracts:
I am 27yrs old and was born with this vision. I have been wearing +11 or more lenses since I was 2yrs old. I've never had cataracts removed or been told I have them but maybe with my high prescription it's the type of lenses I need?

См. статью: Best lenses or solution for high plus prescription glasses?