Thursday, January 3, 2013

I'm terrified of driving! What can I do to get over this?

Hi.

I am 21 years old now and still can't drive. I don't have my drivers license yet, but I got my permit when I was 18. I still can't remember much of what I learned when I was 18, because I was discouraged and I didn't bother looking back.

My dad was the one who took me to practice driving. He took me to parks with somewhat busy parking lots to practice driving, and I had to be cautious for children and people crossing the lots. Even with every little mistake I made, like if I took a wrong turn signal, if I didn't shift the gear into the right position, and even if I didn't back up straight my dad would panic and curse at me saying "What the F are you doing?".

I was very close at one point to driving into the baseball field where little kids were playing ball, that's where my dad started to yell.It didn't take me long to get discouraged by my dad and I did.

What makes me even more nervous is that I am partially deaf. I can't hear at all out of my right ear and I don't have the best eyesight. I can see fine with my contact lenses in however.My mom and dad warned me that I'll have to be even more cautious sight-wise due to being deaf in my right ear. I'm also disabled because I have aspergers syndrome. That's what makes me nervous even more.

I've also had plenty of nightmares of me driving off bridges, off cliffs, into canals and getting in accidents on the road, losing my life. I fear of dying in a car crash most of all.

Now my brother is turning 16 this coming year, and he'll be old enough to get his permit. I'm 21 and it's embarrassing not being able to drive yet. I feel like I have to rush my driving pace because I feel it's embarrassing to have my little brother get the hang of driving before me. He also has a knack for cars, he is a car lover and he's always wanted to drive his whole life.

I'm just discouraged.My dad isn't the best person to learn with.My mom would be worse, since she's a control freak, she freaks out even when a squirrel or a bird crosses the road. We can't pay for a driving school right now either, since my parents are behind with money.

I'm going to have no choice but to get hours into driving practice with my dad. He said he wants to take me to an open parking lot in the mall before it opens this Sunday, and I'm nervous as can be. How can I get over this?

Thanks.
>>> I'm terrified of driving! What can I do to get over this?