Friday, November 30, 2012

Being able to read line 8 on the Snellen Eye Chart?

So I recently got glasses and I was trying to test them out using the Snellen Eye Chart. They say that at 20 feet, you should be able to read line 8 to be considered normal. I tried this out, and while I was able to say what the letters are correctly, I didn't say them because I could CLEARLY see what letters they were. I could make out the basic shapes to know what letter it is, but otherwise I can't see distinct edges, especially on the inside. For example, I can't clearly see the "middle line" in the letter "E". The middle line is shorter as a result of the font that the chart uses, so the line is almost invisible to me at 20 feet. I can also tell when I'm looking at the letter "F" and not simply an enlarged "r" just because I know the chart is all capital letters.

Is this normal or do I need to have my eye doctor reassess the lenses for my glasses?
>>> Being able to read line 8 on the Snellen Eye Chart?