Monday, October 8, 2012

How important is a .25 (astigmatism) contact lens prescription?

My brother got a lens prescription with only one eye showing some astigmatism: Cylinder -0.25 (Axis 85)

Since the lowest increment with prescriptions is .25 (e.g., 1.25, 1.50, 1.75… etc) I was wondering how important it is that I get him toric lenses for that eye (i.e.for astigmatism).

Problem is most companies sell toric lenses starting with .50 or .75 (cylinder), and also the idea of buying two types of lenses (normal and toric) is off-putting.
Custom made lenses are one solution but too expensive.
I should also note that, in the past, I've ordered myself lenses that were .25 off from my prescription in cylinder and power, and it made no difference to me.

So bottom line: should I ignore the -.25 astigmatism and just order normal lenses?
Expert or informed opinions please.
>>> How important is a .25 (astigmatism) contact lens prescription?