Monday, April 21, 2014

Do i need to pay for the prescription when I need to purchase contact lenses?


I lived in NY, and I have insurance that covers my annual eye exam. I know that purchasing contact lenses online is cheaper and I know I need a prescription for them. I went to have my annual eye exam today, my eye doctor also sells glasses and contacts, so my doctor asked which brand I wanted to use, and I said my old one is really dry for my eyes and she gave me 2 other brands to try.

The other people who work for her told me I have to pay $50 for the prescription, and later the $50 will be treated as a deposit for the price of my lenses (whatever brand I need). I don't want to pay because I don't want to buy contacts from my doctor, and I asked, "if i wanted to order online, do I still have to pay?" And the guy told me no matter how I order my contacts, the $50 is for the prescription and therefore I must pay.

So I paid, and I told everything to my boyfriend, he said he didn't have to pay anything to the doctor when he order contact lenses online.

I just wanted to know if it is true that there is a fee ($50) for contacts prescription even when my insurance covers an eye exam. I am kinda on a budget recently and I don't want to pay when I don't need to. Thank you!

Read more: Do i need to pay for the prescription when I need to purchase contact lenses?