Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Is There a High Chance of Hereditary Diabetes?

So, I'm so bummed that I have to wear glasses at thirteen with a high (-5) prescription. I wondered, what the hell, besides my obvious attachment to the computer and close work, affected my eyesight.

My mum has glasses too, but even she's not as bad as mine!

The really sweet part? I got under corrected glasses, and strangely, I feel like my vision is improving with the computer and close work protection lenses :) I don't smack my face so close to the screen anymore! Cheers!

Sooooo, I asked mum, "Why on earth did I get glasses? My eyes are worse than yours, and none of my cousins have them!"

"Your computer's fault." And then she pricked her finger and did this little blood test on this little device thingie. I frowned and asked her, "what's that?"

"I'm measuring my glucose levels and stuff."

"Why?"

"Because I have diabetes."

Silence. "… YOU have DIABETES?"

My mum is SO NOT FAT. SHE'S ONLY 120 POUNDS AND SHE'S ALMOST FORTY!

I freaked out.My grandpa had diabetes too, and he died from a heart attack. I was so scared my mum was going to go through the same thing. I mean, she never talked about this! I thought she was, like, perfectly healthy!

BUUUTT NOOOOOO.My dad has high blood pressure and measures his pressure almost every day. I get that, but he doesn't have diabetes or anything. He just has to watch out for his levels, since he's a suspected diabetic. He works out and is all but immune to diabetes.So, nothing for him.

But mum? COMPLETE OPPOSITE. She has LOW BLOOD SUGAR. And she's an extremely mild diabetic… That's what she says. She rolled her eyes when I started asking questions.

"Since when have you had this?!"

"I dunno. Late twenties or early thirties."

"HOW?"

"Do I look like a doctor to you? Maybe it was sugar overdosage."

"Whhyyyy?"

"My sisters have mild stuff like me too. Damn, stop worrying. None of us have died yet."

"Aren't you worried?"

"Naya, I've been living with this for almost ten or twenty years. I had medication for my first years, worked out, and watch my foods. I eat healthy and moderate my rice (we're Asian). And I don't honestly worry about things like your father, adding stress which builds up to the problem."

"Mummy, I can't loose you!!"

"Shut up. I'm not going to die… Not until I get to see you annoyed with your own kids and laugh in your face."

"… "

Research time!

So, it's a lifelong problem, but my Mom says that, "I'm NOT a MAJOR diabetic, Naya! I'm a suspect! It once got a little far, but I've managed to maintain my levels to a normal human's amount! Compared to others who have had neuropathy, heart diseases, and cancer due to diabetes, I'm fine! Stop worrying!"

Is she type 1 or 2? I think she's 2, but I'm scared it could go to type 1… Which, in my opinion, is worse… Having to pump insulin… I don't mean to offend any ones out there…

Plus, ever since I can remember, I've had cold hands and feet, and now I'm starting to get foot and hand pain. Like, my joints have started aching a bit and I feel like… There's this weird tingling sensation sometimes. I wen to doc last year and they checked my hormones and blood… Found nothing.

Am I fine? Can my mom become type 1? I need some info, please!
>>> Is There a High Chance of Hereditary Diabetes?