Sunday, October 21, 2012

In a little predicament with driver's permit test & eyesight?

I went to take my permit test today and could not read the row of letters the man told me to read. I could see the letters, but they were too small and a little blurry and therefore I could not read them. I passed the test on the computer, but they won't issue me a permit until I pass the eye exam.

I suppose I have mild myopia because I can't read very distant things if they're too small. However, I've never gotten glasses or contacts because I don't have trouble in every day life.It's only in the eye exams at school that I do poorly on the far-away part.

I don't feel like I have any trouble seeing on the roads. I can read the signs, they are plenty big enough, and even though my vision isn't perfect (no one's is), I don't feel I need correction.

I have these things at home called pinhole glasses… they are black, plastic "lenses" with small pinholes in them… that I got a few years ago for a costume, and later found out that they actually block out most of the light entering your eyes and they make distant objects appear clearer.

Could I go back to the DMV and take the eye test while wearing these pinhole glasses? Then I would be able to read the letters, but I don't know if the man would allow that.

Or I could squint… I don't think he could tell if I'm squinting, but if he were to catch me, I don't know.

I really don't want to have to get glasses, even just for driving, for several reasons:
1) I don't even have an eye doctor; never needed one (I'm 16)
2) They are expensive
3) Glasses DO NOT fix your eyes; they only allow you to see temporarily. They actually make your overall vision worse after many years of wearing them.
Added (1). @spare… It doesn't sound like you read everything. Of course this isn't a joke, I'm being serious. I don't have any trouble reading things in every day life.An eye doctor is not going to tell me to wear glasses if I can see everything fine. That's the point that I'm getting at… I can see everything clearly in every day life, and can easily read all the signs on the road and see objects far away.
>>> In a little predicament with driver's permit test & eyesight?