Wednesday, August 6, 2014

New glasses make me go cross eyed?

I'd noticed ghosting of images at long distance with my old specs so went to get my eyes tested (uk chain here in Ireland). During the eye exam, the optician put two lenses up into the machine which where meant to be the right ones for me based on his measurements. I said at the time that I couldn't see out of both eyes at the same time in the machine and was told that he will go ahead with them anyway and he will just have to try and get the centre right. (I'm short sighted with a stigmatism in the right eye).

Well, the new glasses make me go cross eyed, the image in the right eye is higher than the left, the right eye looks towards the left rather than straight ahead and the only way for me to focus on anything is to force myself to go cross eyed. So I went back to the store only to be told that the prescription is right, the centres of the lenses are right and that it's my eyes that are having difficulty adjusting to the change in prescription and that they can try putting prism into the lenses to correct my diplopia along with you do have difficulty focusing when you get older. I feel fobbed off. When I don't wear any glasses at all, I do not have double vision or ghosting, just a fuzzy out of focus view.

I'm really upset about this. Is the optician correct in what he's said or should I go to an independent optician for another opinion.

Read more: New glasses make me go cross eyed?