Sunday, February 17, 2013

After wearing contact lenses for years, sudden extreme pain when I put them in?

I have worn contact lenses for about four years now with no problems. I did somewhat recently switch to a new lens type but I wore them for two months (monthlies: I changed them each month and cleaned them each day) with no problems and then… suddenly one morning when I tried to put my contacts in I experienced very severe burning pain and my eyes instantly became red and bloodshot and I had to immediately remove the contacts.It wasn't just irritation- it really hurt! I woke up my partner screaming and trying frantically to get the contact out of my eye. This happened in both eyes. I thought maybe something was on the contact lens so I opened up two brand new contact lenses but even with the fresh lenses the same thing happened. I waited a week and tried again (I have a cold? don't know if that can effect one's ability to wear lenses?) but still, it causes me extreme pain if I put the contacts in for even a second. Could it be that I have developed an allergy overnight to contact lenses? I am also taking anti-depressants/anti-psychotics for depression which I have heard can cause eye dryness, not sure if that could be a factor (50mg fluoxetine/prozac and 200mg quetiapine/seroquel).It just seems really sudden, any ideas what's going on?
>>> After wearing contact lenses for years, sudden extreme pain when I put them in?