Friday, November 16, 2012

Monocular Diplopia/Polyopia?

Hello,

A little History:

I already have an alternating squint since childhood and as a result I have suppression of either eye but have become right eye dominant.

I have had a form of monocular diplopia/polyopia for around 10 years, beginning around age 20 when looking at light sources or other bright objects on dark backgrounds. I had an eye exam by an Ophthalmologist but he couldn't find nothing wrong and I was told it was maybe due to my stress/anxiety levels since I have a form of OCD/Health Anxiety.the thing I tried to explain back then was if I look at my finger close to my eye and look "through" the out of focus edge of my finger any double effect vision I see across the room or on another object disappears.No one seemed to understand and I just kind of learned to live with this since since I still basically had 20/20 vision.

Now 10 years have gone by and over the last 7 months my life has become quite stressful and tiring because myself and my partner had twin girls which has led to obvious sleep loss/sleep deprivation and stress.

But during this time my left eye has progressed to the point where If I do use it in the time where I switch with the squint then that eye alone see's Multiple ghost images that seem to go in a round circle leading from the "real" image its got to the point where I cannot read an eye chart because of the multiple vision effect.however the trick of looking at my finger close to the eye still eliminates the multiple vision… not sure if what im explaining there is a pinhole effect with cutting out light?

I was again seen just one month ago at the hospital eye unit but again the Dr could not find a reason, but he didn't dilate or check very long either… I was told to visit my local optician.

I went along to Vision Express the next week (3 weeks ago) and was told I have a distorted Cornea which may not be classic Keratoconus and after trying an GP lens which seemed to bring the multiple vision more into focus but closer to the real object I have been refered back to the hospital Ophthalmologist…

Im quite worried really (probably the health anxiety kicking in) but since then Iv also had nagging dull headaches (maybe stress?)

The thing that worries me I guess is that iv already seen Ophthalmologists but they found nothing wrong but the senior partner at Vision Express was sure it was corneal…

Wondering if its possible that the Ophthalmologist was looking for every bad thing under the sun and at the back of eye and maybe missed the front?

any advice is much appreciated
>>> Monocular Diplopia/Polyopia?