Monday, July 14, 2014

Is there a deadline to file for libel or slander?

I worked for SAMS optical as the manager. I gave a pair of trial contacts to a patient that had a current prescription. I checked the patients previous orders and printed out the latest order. I gave the patient the prescribed lenses, but her doctor had the powers opposite of what she was wearing. I left the old order form and the new prescription in the doctors office. My district manager found the old copy of the order and accused me of filling an expired prescription, which I told her was not expired. She asked me where was the original and I went to look for it, but it wasn't there. She smirked at me and told me that there was no prescription and that I had did an exam on the patient and that she had it on store tape. I asked her to show it to me, she couldn't show it to me because it didn't happen. I was fired 1 August 2013. I tried filing for unemployment but they fought that and said I was fired for gross misconduct. I had no way of getting in touch with the patient. I filed a complaint with wal-mart corporate to investigate that the patient was given a free eye exam at another Sams club. They told me that no such thing happened. Three weeks ago I happened to run into the patient at a festival and she asked where I had been and I explained that I was fired for helping her. She told me that Sams did pay for her exam and even gave her free contacts, but they never told her why or asked what happened. She is very upset and said she will testify to what truly happened.

Read more: Is there a deadline to file for libel or slander?