Saturday, March 8, 2014

Why is my wife trying to make me look older? And how can I put my foot down against that?

We have been married for 3 years and are having a baby in 4 months. We are in our early 30s.

This is about the age when one starts to develop fine lines. I have managed to keep those at bay with the liberal use of sunblock when going outdoors for any length of time, and with healthy eating. I am also getting close to the age at which my metabolism is likely to start slowing down. This is not a problem for those who exercise regularly, and eat healthy, which I do. Lastly, I started going bald about 5 years ago, but I have kept it at bay with the regular use of rogaine. I have not started going grey yet, but when I do, I have every intention to cover that up.

I like looking young. I have always looked younger than my age. I am frequently mistaken for being in my mid-late 20s. I like it that way, and I hope to grow, not shrink, the gap between my actual age and the age I look like.

In order to save money for when the baby arrives, my wife has made the following requests:
- stop using rogaine
- give up my gym membership
- buy clothes at cheaper places, as opposed to fashionable clothing
- use less sunscreen
- stop using my prescription acne medication
- stop using contact lenses, and just use the (free) glasses that the Air Force gives me.

The only one I conceded on was the clothing one. Next time I go shopping, I will go to the outlets to see if I can get good quality clothing for less. If I can't find them there, I will look for non-name-brand clothing that still looks and feels good.

Reducing the use of sunscreen is a retarded idea. It is very important to latherup when going outdoors, especially here in Colorado where sunshine is abundant, and where we are closer to the sun. Giving up my gym membership is also dumb. I have a right to be in shape, and while you CAN stay in shape without a gym, it is much easier WITH a gym.

As for the glasses, the ones that the Air Force gives you are officially called GI glasses, but are nicknamed birth control (BC) glasses, because they are not flattering. I'm not going to be out picking up women or anything, but I have a right to look good. I have met her halfway on this one though. I agreed to not get a new pair of civilian glasses and just use my GI glasses as a backup to my contacts.

If I stop using rogaine, I will lose my hair. That will make me look older, and I don't really want that. That will really make my self confidence go down. If I quit using my acne medication, I will get acne. That doesn't look good.

I think my wife is doing this to make me look ugly, so that she basically has me by the balls. She is trying to prevent me from ever leaving her, so that way even if I would file for divorce otherwise, I will be reluctant to do that since I am now balding, have acne, am less in shape, and wear ugly glasses. She is being extremely selfish. Is this why she is trying to control my life?
Added (1). eve, you sound homophobic. No, I'm not gay. All straight men like to look good. Don't tell me what I should or should not care about. And obviously I CAN stop balding, because the rogaine is WORKING. I even regrew some hair, and now I have the same amount of hair I did when I was 20.

And Sue, yes, the acne SHOULD have stopped, but it hasn't. Many men continue to struggle with acne throughout adulthood, it is actually quite common. And no, wanting to look good isn't a crime so you'd better stop making it sound like it is.
Added (2). Kurt, if you think I'm gay, then good for you. Most straight guys DO care about their looks. Perhaps you are ugly and don't care, but I do. I take pride in my looks. And I highly doubt you would last in the Air Force. You're probably just some fat, beer drinking, donut-eating couch potato who will die of a heart attack at age 50.

To those of you who are concerned about money…there will be money for baby supplies. If I were concerned about that, I would try and make more sacrificies. The fact that I am NOT willing to make sacrifices should have told you that they are NOT necessary.

Robert, thank you for your response. She said she isn't going to buy an expensive handbag when she is due for another one. She will buy less expensive clothing and wear makeup only when going out at night. She says she is in general, less wasteful than I am. I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. If I thought I was wasteful, I wouldn't spend my money on the th
Added (3). swbarnes, my "history" is not relevant to this question. And you really don't know who I am, so you'd best take each question you read at face value. The truth is, it doesn't matter if I'm making it up or not. I asked a question, and I am hoping for an answer.

Читать далее: Why is my wife trying to make me look older? And how can I put my foot down against that?