Monday, February 25, 2013

Could a corneal abrasion in the eye lead to bacterial meningitis?

I suffered a tear of my corona a few weeks ago while in South Florida while taking a contact lens off a very dry eye. I then washed it with the unfiltered tap water from the faucet. I went to see an ophthalmologist the following day and he said I had developed a small infection in my eye and gave me anti-biotic eye drops. After a week of taking it, I felt better. Now after 3 days, I suddenly have had an elevated temperature, coughs, stiff neck and body aches all over me. I am hoping this is just the flu, but now I'm worried that maybe the infection in my eye didn't completely heal (as I only took the tiny samples the doctor gave me) and maybe whatever bacteria/parasites got into my eye made it into my body intact and now is causing these body-wide symptoms.

Am I being neurotic and worrying for no reason or should I be concerned?
>>> Could a corneal abrasion in the eye lead to bacterial meningitis?