Wednesday, February 27, 2013

LASIK and insurance coverage?

Last year I went to an eye doctor and was told I was legally blind (without corrective lenses) in my left eye and have poor vision in my right eye. I am considering getting LASIK eye surgery and I am going to see a new eye doctor (I recently moved) in two weeks for an eye exam and consultation. I am under my dad's health insurance and it's through his job at a hospital. Normally, we have very good coverage.under his plan. If I am considered legally blind (without corrective lenses), would the insurance be able to cover some if not all of the procedure? I know it's considered a 'cosmetic' procedure but would the fact that I'm 'legally' blind make any difference in the coverage? Also, how much are most people with insurance 'expected' to per each eye?
>>> LASIK and insurance coverage?