Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sweet spot on progressive lenses is not at the same level?

Yesterday I posted a question about having to look sideways through my new glasses in order to clearly out of the right eye at close range (i.e.computer, reading etc).

Old Glasses:
1.67 plastic progressives with AR coating; worn for 4 years
OD Sphere -6.00, Cylinder -.50, Axis 095, Add +2
OS Sphere -7.25, Cylinder -.50, Axis 085, Add +2

New Glasses:
1.67 High Definition plastic progressives with AR coating
OD Sphere -5.50, Cylinder -1.00, Axis 090, Add +2
OS Sphere -7.00, Cylinder -.75, Axis 090, Add +2

The person who answered said that was a pretty sure sign the axis was off. Thank you and I will be addressing that with both the optician and optometrist tomorrow.

Now I have noticed another problem. I am hearing impaired and need to use the close captioning on the TV.As I was watching TV yesterday with the new glasses, I noticed that I cannot see clearly out of both eyes at the same time.In other words, the spot in the progressives where I can see clearly through the right eye to read the close captioning is NOT the same spot where I can see clearly through the left eye.To see the closed captioning clearly through the left eye, I have to tilt my head lower and look through a more upper part of the lense.

So then I started testing this on other things and sure enough, when looking at anything at distance, the "sweet spot" is always lower on the right lense than it is on the left lense.

I am about ready to give up on these new glasses.My old progressive lenses, even while slightly overcorrected, don't cause me any of this grief and the "sweet spot" when watching TV (or looking at anything for that matter) is at the same level in both right and left lense.It really is aggravating because taken individually, I can see very well out of one eye at a time with the new glasses, and that was an improvement after putting up with overcorrected lenses for several months. But the new lenses aren't working together. I suspect this is the reason for the terrible eye strain.

Any suggestions? When I go back to the optician tomorrow, I expect they will just say "oh you need more time to adjust". But this does NOT strike me as an adjustment issue.

Not happy at all with this optical outlet this time. The experienced optician I had the last time has left and no one will say why or where. The manager of the store doesn't know the difference between presbyopia and hyperopia, and the two young opticians, while very pleasant, seem inexperienced. The one openly admitted not knowing much about progressives and the other one was unable to adjust the arms of the glasses to comfortably accommodate my hearing aids, even though the new frames are EXACTLY the same as the old frames and I had brought the old frames to use as reference.
>>> Sweet spot on progressive lenses is not at the same level?