Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Can I get my whole front windshield tinted?

Just curios. I live in Illinois (near St. Louis) and I have a long commute to work. All my windows are tinted the legal limits of 35% (not too dark) because I like some sort of privacy and the sun doesn't feel like it burns my skin and it seems to keep the car cool in the summer. Anyways that is getting a little off subject. I want to know if I can tint my whole windshield instead of just a 6" sun strip. If I can, I want to get 35% or 50% on the WHOLE windshield. Why? Because on this extremely long commute to work, the road I drive on is always shiny for some reason all days of the year (except on cloudy days). Like what I mean by shiny, is the way I'm heading on that road the sun reflects off of it ALL YEAR (except for cloudy days). I really don't like it as it is hard to see when I take my eyes off the road for a little bit.It is also kind of giving my eyes pain, but not much. Someone said I could get a doctors note, but I don't know how or how I would approach that. Quite honestly, I don't really want to take the time to do this.

To sum it up:
Long commute to work. Shiny road gives eyes light pain. Hard to see for a bit when I take my eyes off the road.

Is it legal to tint the whole windshield? If so, is it safe to do a light tint like I want just to cut down on glare? If I need a not from a doctor, how do I obtain this?

Oh by the way, if it is not legal and I can't get a note saying it is legal for me, and say I go ahead and tint it a light tint anyways. If I get pulled over for it, would a cop understand that I'm driving on a road that is practically blinding for an hour and 30 minutes everyday?

Oh and sunglasses crossed my mind, but I can't. I have to wear glasses everyday of my life because I can't see without them (although, my glasses are those transition lenses, they just don't transition inside the car, go figure.)

Please and thanks guys.

P.S., I'm not some little 18 year old kid wanting to pimp out my car and am trying to bypass the law by getting medical excuses. I just need to do something about this to help my eyes out.
>>> Can I get my whole front windshield tinted?