Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Biofinity contact lenses - extended wear?

Wondered if anyone can help. I've been wearing contact lenses for 18 months and use Biofinity by Coopervision. I was prescribed them by my Optician as extended use lenses. He said I could wear them continuously for a month but advised taking them out once in that period to clean them as this would make them cleaner/safer/more hygienic than daily lenses. I wanted extended use as I am not the best at putting in/removing lenses and it's more convenient for my work pattern. I used the direct debit scheme for the first 6 months, had the lens check up and everything was fine. I then ordered a years supply from the internet and am just coming to the end. I've never had a problem, I tend to wear them for 25-30 days and then wear glasses for a week before next wearing lenses. I just had my second contact lens check up with no issues.

I have been looking again on-line to order another 3 months supply but now I am worried and confused as there seems to be some discrepancy. Several sites list these lenses as 'monthly disposable' ie.you should take them out each night. Other sites say they can be used 'for 24hr wear' and others as continuous wear for 'up to 7 days in a row', another site lists them in the monthly disposable category but says in the details 'Approved for 29 nights, 30 days of extended and continues wear' and I've found one site that says they can be used as 'an extended wear option'.

How can the same lenses be sold in different ways? I'm really worried I have been wearing my lenses wrong for the past 18 months? I can't speak to the original optician as I am no longer in that area. Does anyone else use these lenses for continuous wear?
>>> Biofinity contact lenses - extended wear?