Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My target peep sight has an issue on one side - no matter how it is turned?

Last night I dusted off my 22 Target rifle - got it in 1966 when I was 11 - and when I look through the rear peep aperture, it looks like something is stuck on the left side… Looks kinda like clear plastic? Cleaned the thing - still there. Reamed it with a micro file and added sight black - still there. There is no lens, it's just a round hole… Nothing seems deformed. The really curious thing - when I rotate the sight (it screws in) the obscured left side area stays put where it is. When I look at a different light source - it's still in the same place. This seems to point to something having little to do with the hole itself? For such simple part with no moving parts - it's strange. Been a year since I used the rifle and it was fine from 1966-2013.

I have about 6 hours to fix this before I compete in a Senior Games match - I have a back up rifle, but, I really like using this one from when I was a kid. Any ideas for a quick fix?

Read more: My target peep sight has an issue on one side - no matter how it is turned?