Monday, August 11, 2014

How to tell if there is something wrong with my contact lens prescription?

I've worn glasses since I was a teenager (now in my late 20's) and contacts up until 5-6 years ago. I've gone to the same eye dr. Since I was a kid, but had a bad experience last year so I decided to try a new doctor when I decided I wanted to start wearing contacts again. An eye exam at my old place would take 45 min to an hour each time, at this new place, I was done in 20 minutes and the doc was 10-15 min late with no apology. I was put off by many things during the eye exam (he wasn't rude but he concluded early that i was not going to see 20/20 whereas my old doc would keep going until I could get as close to 20/20 as possible, and he didn't clean the equipment… Enough with my rant…

I was given a trial pair of contacts, and have to go back and see if they're working (if not they're prescribing me a more expensive lens). The secretary told me that I was to wear them every day even if they bug me. I didn't wear them yesterday because one of my eyes was so red and irritated, but other than that I've been wearing them and I can see fine far away but up close everything is a bit blurry… Not so blurry that I can't see… But worse than when I'm wearing my glasses (which were prescribed by my old doc). How can I figure out if there is a problem with my prescription or if it's just going to take some time to get used to wearing contacts again? I never had a problem with an "off" prescription at my old eyecare place.

Read more: How to tell if there is something wrong with my contact lens prescription?