Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How to get him to back off and get some help?

Ok, so I met this guy about 2 weeks ago, we hit it off, he complimented me a lot, flirted etc. I really liked him. We met up on saturday, and it became clear that he has a lot of issues. He's from an indian religion - arranged marriages, banned sex/kissing, no friends outside the religion, controlling parents, etc. It's impossible for him to leave the religion without losing all chances at his future. Plus, he has zero self confidence, little eye contact, constantly puts himself down, etc. I'm really concerned for him (and obviously I don't see him in a romantic lens anymore).

After we met up, he sent me a lot of messages apologising for talking about his "miserable life", for his lack of eye contact, and said that I "make his life not worthless". I ran into him today at a society - he mumbled a lot, wouldn't look at me and looked really nervous. He said his weekend was terrible but wouldn't elaborate. He then texted me later, apologising for "mistreating" me and for how rude he was to me today and that he spent the past few days just thinking about me.

I've literally known him for about 2 weeks and this is a bit much. I'm pretty sure he has feelings for me and I kind of want to tell him he's not ready for any relationship without completely ruining him. Obviously I feel terrible for him, but at the same time, there's a limit to how much of his crippling self-depreciation I can take. Plus I'm concerned with how heavily he's investing emotionally in me.

Read more: How to get him to back off and get some help?