Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What is required to qualify for daily contacts, and do they cost more?

I've worn biweekly soft contact lenses for about 10+ years now. My favorite (and current) ones are AcuVue Advance Plus. They're more comfortable to me and do not dry out as badly as all of the other brands that I have tried. I'm a -6.00 with a BC of 8.7 DIA 14.0. The same in both eyes.

I started a new job about 5 months ago working in the Meat/Seafood rooms interchangeably at a supermarket chain. Because it is a good career and pays very well, I'm planning on retiring with the company about 30 years from now. I'm around a lot of bacteria. Our hoses in both departments spray 200 degree water mixed with this deli detergent stuff (which says "eye irritant" on it, among other things) and sanitizer in both areas. As part of the trade-off, anyone who is human will have a runny nose in the cold work environment. You might also build up a bit more Rheum (which most call "sleepy" - that sticky stuff in the corner of your eyes each morning) even during a normal work day. I find that a lot of times, I will get some of that or something else (such as a slash-up of detergent, etc.) "stuck" on my soft contact permanently. Soaking overnight in no-rub disinfectant and gently rubbing the contact in a circular direction in the palm of my hand will not remove it. Having switched old contacts out for a new pair when I had a spot on it like that, I discovered that I could not even scrape it off with a fingernail (since it didn't matter if I destroyed the old ones that I wouldn't use anymore anyway).

So I'm wondering if I would qualify for one-day soft contacts in my prescription strength so that I wouldn't have to worry about these cleaning issues with the contacts. How much more expensive are they?
Added (1). Also, would they be as thin and comfortable as the ones that I'm used to wearing?

Читать далее: What is required to qualify for daily contacts, and do they cost more?