Saturday, February 1, 2014

Do I really need to get ultra-thin high-index glasses lenses?

How important is it to get ultra-thin high-index (1.67) lenses for glasses? My prescription is -5.00 in both eyes (and -0.5 cyl, whatever that means). Salespeople (at Lenscrafters) have always talked me into those lenses (usually quite a bit more expensive than standard lightweight lenses), so that's what I've had for as long as I can remember. If I don't get them, will the lenses be quite thick?

I bought a pair of Warby Parker sunglasses with this prescription last summer and paid extra for these lenses at the site's suggestion. I'm getting ready to replace my everyday glasses now, and the glasses go up $30 in price with the special lenses-not a ton of money, but obviously I'd love to spend less if I can get away with it. The standard lenses from the shop I'm buying from are "Lightweight polycarbonate with anti-glare and scratch-resistant coatings, plus 100% UV protection," and the upgraded ones are "1.67 high-index, anti-glare and scratch-resistant coatings, plus 100% UV protection." The website suggests I buy the 1.67s for prescriptions between -4.25 and -8.00, which mine is. I just don't know enough about lenses to feel confident making this decision, and I don't exactly trust glasses salespeople to give me good information.

I've had little luck finding impartial/Consumer Reports-style information about this, or a hard-and-fast rule about what prescriptions make such lenses necessary. If you have a similar prescription and have had both types of lenses, please let me know if, in your experience, the standard lenses will be much thicker/heavier/unsightly! Thanks!

Читать далее: Do I really need to get ultra-thin high-index glasses lenses?