Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Choosing new glasses (for high prescription)?

I'm a 17 year old guy in high school. I have a prescription of -7.50 in my left and -6.0 in my right and I expect these numbers to go up after my next eye exam.

I currently have these glasses in my incredibly high prescription:
http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Ted…
and I think buying them was a big mistake. I only use these glasses for reading at night going home right after school. They distort my far distance vision so much. I cannot drive in them, nor wear them in public. They're also very heavy and tend to fall off my face, even after having them adjusted twice.

I've read about high-index lenses and I believe they're the only option. Are they as thin as normal low-prescription lenses, or are they just a little thinner?

And will high index lenses affect the choice of frame I can buy, or can I wear anything? I heard that the higher the prescription, you need smaller frames and frames that aren't so wide across your face.

Will high-index lenses also reduce distortion in my vision? I need to be able to drive in these and look relatively good (I hate how my glasses distort my face, like in this picture: https://sites.google.com/site/palinglass… )

So am I looking at relatively thin lenses, like the lenses made for low prescription, or am I looking at something slightly thinner? What kind of frame do I need to buy, or are my choices limited at all? I'm looking at plastic frames because they're in style right now and they hide the edges better. I desperately need a good pair of glasses to wear everyday because my contact-lens ridden eyes need a break:-)

Note: I will not be using insurance to pay for these so it would be great if I got pricing expectations for these expensive lenses. If I could go under $500 that would be great.

Читать далее: Choosing new glasses (for high prescription)?