Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How well do contacts work in dry or slightly dusty weather?

Hi, I am 16, and I am interested in wearing contacts. We live in rural colorado and run a small 'farm'.In the summer, we cut our field with old hay equipment, and bail it for our horses.In short, it is somewhat dusty work, and our climate can be dry. I personally don't think it is too terrible, except for when the weeds and thistles bloom and I have slight bouts of allergies. They are not too severe, just enough to be irritating. I have recently found that regular moisturizing eyedrops help my itchy eyes quite a bit. Note that the better part of my year is spent inside a school building, and I'm really only around the dust and grime during my summer break.

I really do not care for glasses that much, they are ALWAYS dirty or have small spots on them, and I find myself cleaning them 5-6 times per day. Plus, I am constantly taking them off to rub my nose so they do not slide down, it must be the oils on my face that cause that. And doing that causes my nose to become red and sore, and I hate that.In short, they are a major source of irritation for me. A lot of times, I feel a bit out of place because I am practically the only person in my class, or maybe in high school that wears glasses. Maybe that last part just seems that way and I don't notice, but I am definitely the only one in my class (so far). I would ask others what they do for their vision, or if there is even anything wrong, but I am not a very outgoing person so I avoid asking. I have been picked on a bit over the years (since 3rd grade), and I wonder if that is why I avoid most contact with other students.

Anyway, my mom used to wear contacts but quit since she had troubles with them; she says they irritated her eyes, they were a pain, her eyes were dry, the tiniest spec of anything meant they had to be cleaned or something, etc. however I am aware this was quite some time ago (at least 16 years, probably a lot more), and that there have been some advancements in the technology. I assume she wore the hard kind or whatever, I really don't know since it's a subject I avoid (afraid to ask).

Basically, I would like to know what has changed and if it is realistic for me to think I too could wear contacts based on my lifestyle. Like I said, I am only in the heavy dust for like 2 weeks or so of the year, just long enough to get the hay put away. I am definitely responsible enough, and I have no problem taking care of things. Eyedrops are easy for me, it only takes me a split second to do both eyes, it would not be a problem to pack whatever supplies i would need into a pocket on my book bag. Please, somebody give me some data to support an argument, I have not been able to find anything on how hard contacts are to use in dusty areas, or whether there is some kind of lens that promotes moisture flow. Also, please recommend a brand if you know one. What is your personal experience?

Thanks.

См. статью: How well do contacts work in dry or slightly dusty weather?