Friday, December 28, 2012

EBay buyer protection. Contact seller first, or ebay?

Okay, so recently I ordered a lens from ebay. I received it last week. The seller claimed it was in perfect pristine condition, and that it had only been used for one shoot, and that it was a factory refurbished lens. I received it, and it did look fairly pristine and mint, but there was a spec of dust inside of the lens, and most importantly, the focus ring is a bit stiff.It does not glide like an identical lens that my sibling owns.

I read that I have 45 days from purchase to file a buyer protection case. I was wondering if I should talk with the seller first, or go straight to ebay and file it. The buyer was really nice about things, but I can't help but think the item I bought is in a lot worse shape than he described.It works and looks good, but there seems to be some mechanical issue internally like the internal elements are rubbing together and not gliding like my sibling's lens, and it is certainly not a mint condition lens if I can spot a fairly large dust particle inside. He sold it as "manufacturer refurbished" but that is not the case here. How should I go about in taking care of this?

Thank you
>>> EBay buyer protection. Contact seller first, or ebay?