Friday, April 19, 2013

Can bifocals be outgrown?

I'm have relatively terrible shortsightedness (the exact number I couldn't tell you) and I first started wearing glasses around 7 or 8.It was deemed by perhaps my second pair that i needed bifocal lenses as I struggled to see close-up objects while wearing my glasses, and so I have had them ever since. I am now 18 and went for an eye test recently. The optometrist asked if I thought I still needed bifocals, and I replied yes as I had had them for as long I remembered.

I received my new glasses today, and it would appear that I can see up-close, within 7 inches or so, writing that my shortsighted mother can't read at the same distance with her glasses. She doesn't have bifocals but a pair of reading glasses that she swaps around. I should mention that there is some minor strain for me to read with the new pair through the main lenses, and that while looking through them at close objects, I tend to have a desire to relax my eyes, which will unfocus them slightly from the text, but this is relative to distance from the page.

I'm just wondering whether or not it's common for teenagers to outgrow bifocals and then need them later on as middle-age approaches. If I can read up close, albeit with very minor strain, do I still require bifocals, or is any strain at all an immediate requirement? They also prevent the lenses from being thinned to the extent that they could be as a single vision lens, adding additional weight to glasses.

Help, please?

См. статью: Can bifocals be outgrown?