Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Social anxiety advice? - 1

For a large portion of my life, I have been suffering from what I believe to be social anxiety. I have a very difficult time formulating and communicating thoughts when others are present.It's almost like a invisible force is subconsciously impeding my thoughts. I find it difficult to hold fluid conversations and often find myself unable to speak with conviction. Most of what I say isn't backed with emotion and feels fake. I also sometimes find that my body movements become altered.My muscles become tense and sometimes I experience a loss of coordination. However, I never experience a full blown out rush of epinephrine (anxiety, sense of impending doom, tachycardia, etc.). When I am alone, I find that these symptoms are no longer present. I have also noticed that if I do not have my contact lenses in and can't see people in great detail, these symptoms are relieved to a minor extent. The same occurs if I'm in a situation that triggers a release of epinephrine.

Negative thoughts regarding the social situation never cross my mind. I simply experience these symptoms instinctively and the actual reasons are never apparent.

There is this girl that I find to be incredibly cute who sits in front of me in one of my classes. I've talked to her in class a few times, but of course, for stated reasons above, the conversations were somewhat limited. I've spoken to her via texts and Facebook on numerous occasions. Those conversations were much more fluid and did a much better job at defining me as a person. I want to speak to her more in person, but it's incredibly difficult for me to start conversations with her. I want to say hi to her when I pass her in the hallway, but it's so damn difficult.So there is one situation in my life that can be focused on when answering this question.

Does anyone have any advice?
>>> Social anxiety advice? - 1