Saturday, November 24, 2012

Double vision treatment?

I am 19 years old. I have had very poor eyesight for just about as long as I can remember.It seems like every couple of years I need to get a new pair of glasses. I remember my optometrist saying to me a few years back that my eyes would likely continue to get worse until I was about 22. I'm not sure on all the specifics, but right now my prescription is around a -10 in my right eye and a -13 in my left eye. Even with corrective lenses, I've never been able to see 20/20, which I believe is primarily because of an astigmatism. Until about a month ago, this had never been a major problem, except for on days when my allergies really hit me and made my eyes itchy. But recently, I seem to be having some double vision, which seems more prevalent in my left eye (i.e.things are pretty much fine when I close only my left eye, noticeable and uncomfortable when I have both eyes open, and just plain frustrating when I close only my right eye).It's not so bad when I wake up in the morning, but it gets worse as the day progresses, and by the time I go to bed at night, I usually can't wait to take my glasses off and just rest my eyes. I notice this problem the most when I am looking at text over a dark background (usually on a screen). I've also noticed that it's not such a bother when I have sunglasses on, such as my clip-ons that I use when I drive. The "double" images typically appear above the actual image and are a very faded replica of the real image (i.e.light gray text appears above the clear white text on my phone). I can usually effect a temporary fix to the problem by either moving up close to the image or opening my eyes wide and straining them, but these are obviously huge inconveniences.
Anyway, I know my description of my symptoms is a bit unorganized, but I was wondering what course of action you might recommend I take. I know the most practical thing to do is to go see an ophthalmologist, but seeing as I can't afford insurance, that looks like a last resort. I've actually considered investing in an eyepatch to put over my left eye when at home. I'm just hoping there's something I can do to make my life a bit more comfortable; this is starting to freak me out a little bit. Thank you for whatever feedback you can provide.
>>> Double vision treatment?