Tuesday, July 29, 2014

So I want to give contact lenses a try, but feeling nervous?!

A little background info. I'm 25. I've been wearing glasses since I was about 11 on and off. Mostly on, but sometimes in the wrong prescription (too weak). I've always needed them, but funds and insurance had been an issue up until a couple of years ago. I also have an astigmatism. It's not super sever, but without my glasses there is a noticeable degree of fuzziness, my night vision is really bad, and I can't read road signs.

The little annoyances of glasses have always bothered me but I've put up with it because I wasn't willing to try alternatives. But I Think I've finally had it. In my line of work, they fog up constantly and get splattered a lot. I think I'm finally ready to try contacts.

I made the appointment for next week yesterday, but I'm feeling so nervous! Can someone put my mind at ease regarding what to expect during the contact exam? What will my OD do? Will it feel weird? Is there likely to be a problem because of my astigmatism? Could something go wrong? I've had a lot of eye exams in my life, but never a contact lens exam. I think I'm feeling more nervous about the exam than trying contacts in the first place!

Also, I know my OD will go over this with me, but what should I be considering regarding the contacts themselves? I've heard that GP lenses are a lot better for astigmatism than soft lenses, but that they're also a lot harder to get used to. Any input there? Or maybe it won't matter because my astigmatism isn't very sever?

Thanks guys.

Read more: So I want to give contact lenses a try, but feeling nervous?!