Thursday, December 13, 2012

Could diabetes be causing my astigmatism? - 1

I'm 17 and it is quite likely that I have Type 2 diabetes. I need to pee every 1-2 hours and need to have a bottle of water with me because I am constantly thirsty. I am generally lethargic (I used to think this was normal for most teenagers) and have regular subtle headaches. 3 of my grandparents and my dad have Type 2 diabetes so my chances of inheriting are almost inevitable. Also I've been tempting fate with my eating habits- since I have a fast metabolism I never give junk food a second thought.In spite of this I've recently gained a few kilograms of weight.

A bit over a week ago I went to the optometrist who told me I have mild astigmatism in both eyes (I'm already myopic and wear contacts). This was never diagnosed before (I have been wearing glasses since 9 and contacts 14). I don't need to wear toric lenses yet but I've been wondering whether this could have to do with my diabetes. I've heard that high blood sugar levels can change the shape of the eye and when they go down it reverts back. I've had diabetes symptoms for months now so this would fit.

Could this be possible for my case? Or is the high blood sugar level thing a myth? Many thanks for your help.
>>> Could diabetes be causing my astigmatism? - 1