Saturday, May 14, 2016

I'm a contact lens user, and blood vessels are approaching cornea. Should I be concerned?


M wearing contact lenses about 6 months now. They are Cooper Vision Frequency 55 lenses, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Blood vessels are appearing near the cornea, but have not yet entered the cornea.
Google search suggests Limbal hyperemia can be a precursor of corneal neovascularizzation, which might in turn result is permanent contact-lens cessation or in the worst case necessitate a corneal transplant.
The blood vessels are more pronounced at the 12 o'clock region. For reference, I'm including a picture of my right eye, if you set the monitor brightness of the computer at a moderately high level, you should be able to see the blood vessels quite clearly.

Here's the picture: I m a contact lens user, and blood vessels are approaching cornea. Should I be concerned - 1

I've seen my optometrist, and he insists as long as the vessels are not entering the cornea, I'm fine and I can continue lenswear. But I don't want to take chances with my vision, hence m here for a second professional opinion.

Vision/Comfort is unaffected-my lenses still feel comfortable and vision is still crystal clear wearing them (or glasses). My myopia is - 5.50 SPH/ No cyl in right eye, -5.25/No cyl in left eye. I don't smoke/drink alcohol/take any prescription medication, and don't suffer from any other diseases that I'm aware of.
Added (1). Oh, forgot to mention, I'm 32 years old.
Added (2). Thanks David, my optometrist tried with Avaira and AirOptix, but i couldn't get used to them. They felt like foreign bodies in the eye, and produced a "burning" sensation. I was comfortable in Frequency55 and ProClear. He picked Frequency55 as it's a bit less expensive and I don't have dry eyes. In the end, it was his choice, not mine. All I told him was I didn't feel comfortable in Avaira and AirOptix.
Added (3). Does this look dangerous? Should I stop using lenses and return to glasses full time? Please advice.

Read more: I'm a contact lens user, and blood vessels are approaching cornea. Should I be concerned?