Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Can I survive without glasses for a month?


I'm currently living with my mother's family in her country of birth (got here a few days ago). The only problem is that it's a conservative society that considers females who wear glasses to be very unattractive. I know that I'll be bombarded with "advice" on how to heal my eyes if I leave my room wearing a thick pair of specs. I want to avoid the drama by not letting anyone know that I'm nearsighted. I'm obviously wearing contacts but will I be able to continue to wear them for 12-14 hours a day without a break for a month?

I was hoping to be able to squint and improve my vision when I don't have them on in the evenings and nights so that people don't notice I can't see. Are there any other ways to improve my visual acuity temporarily (apart from squinting which may be too obvious!)

Also, I decided to visit an optician because it's so much cheaper to get an exam and lenses here and he made it seem as though my vision was unusually bad. It did get worse but I'm still not sure whether it's as serious as he made it out to be. He kept saying that I have a very "high power" and that glasses "are a must" even when reading. The rx was:

R -3.25
L -4.00

Now, it's:

R -4.00
L -5.25

Is it really going to be such a problem
Added (1). Isn't -5 close to the average prescription in the US? Maybe the optician was surprised because people in this country don't use the internet as much as we do!

Read more: Can I survive without glasses for a month?