Monday, August 31, 2015

Why does the you're beautiful the way you are movement apply only to women?


I am not the most attractive guy. I am 5'4". I have acne that didn't respond to "entry level" treatment. I am balding and greying (I'm only 31). I am healthy and I play sports 3 times a week, but I don't really lift weights, so I don't have a beachbody. I wear glasses, and I am quite hairy. I drive a 2004 Corrolla and I buy my clothes from Target and TJ Maxx.

With the exception of my height, all of the above are fixable. I could get on Accutane for acne, or Rogain/Propecia/JustForMen for my hair issues. I could spend tons of money on an expensive car or expensive clothes that I don't need, and I could lift weights instead of playing tennis and volleyball. I could get contact lenses or LASIK, and I could get laser hair removal.

I get told that "You can't control your height, so you don't have much lee way. You should do something about your looks." Imagine if you told that to a girl in this day and age…

The truth is, why should I do any of the above? I don't want to take dangerous and expensive drugs just to get rid of acne. I don't want to mess with contact lenses, I am happy with my glasses. I shouldn't need an expensive car or brand name clothing to impress women.

Read more: Why does the you're beautiful the way you are movement apply only to women?