Thursday, September 18, 2014

Amblyopia or astigmatism?

So I have very poor vision in my left eye, found out in 6th grade. The doctor said I had a ”lazy eye”, but it wasnt refering to it as what I know, today, that a lazy eye means (=amblyopia). She was only saying that a muscle in my eye was ”lazy” and I needed some glasses to force an effort to the lazy eye. I wore the glasses but there was no change. My eyes used to get very tired after reading a lot.

Eventually I gave up on the glasses because my vision was getting worse. Later on I went to an ophthalmologist again because I was trying to get into aviation academy and I needed very good vision. My right eye was perfect, but the left was significantly bad, was told I had astigmatism. I got contact lenses and they were perfect, Sometimes I would still have problems with my left eye, when very tired.

With my current office job, my vision in the left eye went from bad to almost blind. I visited again an ophtalmologist and I was told for the first time that I had amblyopia and it couldnt be fixed because I was too old. Doctor said vision cant be corrected with glasses because theres nothing wrong with the eye, its the brain thats suppressing the vision of the eye. This detail doesnt make sense to me: if I put a finger in front of my lazy eye and try to look just above it, I can clearly see all the pixels on the screen. So how can it be my brain when a trick like this makes me see perfectly?
I am fed up with all the doctors and I am trying to figure out what the truth is.

Read more: Amblyopia or astigmatism?