Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Do regular eye doctor visits detect signs of retinal detachment?

I had normal check up with my optometrist about 7-8 months ago and he told me that my eyes were pretty healthy (I believe he used an opthalmoscope - little flashlight with lens to look well inside your eye.)

Recently however I noticed - I think on my left eye only - a few eye floaters. I can only see them against a bright background, and always outdoors, never indoors. I looked the thing up and most of the time eye floaters are nothing to worry about but sometimes can be a symptom of retinal detachment which I am worried about. I don't think I have any eye-flashes accompanied with the floaters, but I'm not sure as I don't really know exactly what eye-flashes are and how they are supposed to look like.

Would my eye-doctor have detected any signs of retinal detachment during my last visit? Or should I schedule another visit soon?

Thanks!

Read more: Do regular eye doctor visits detect signs of retinal detachment?