Saturday, May 31, 2014

Should I even bother trying for a refund?

I will try and keep this very brief.
6 weeks ago i bought a pair of eye glasses from vision express. On receiving them I noticed a strange mirror effect at the top of the lenses when viewing semi bright images on a dark background. E.g Driving, watching TV, woring on a monitor etc. To the point where it becomes so distracting it's impossible to focus on what you're doing. I have taken them back 8 times (each time resulting in a £6 bus fair ride) and had multiple things done to them (including the frames changed and lenses changed/the anti glare removed and added) and the problem is still there. I have been called 'too fussy' and overheard the advisers describe me as 'a trouble customer'. On my last visit I was told to "Just get used to them as theres nothing more we can do"
I went to an dependent opticians who said that this affect is normal when using inferior materials which vision express are known for. He advised me to demand a refund right away. I gave it an extra two weeks and still the 'mirror' effect is there. I have since looked online and found multiple reviews saying they had the same problem as myself. I have now had enough and want a refund. I no long trust the staff in their branch and refuse to go in there after my last few experiences.
Have I left it too late to ask for a full refund? Do i have any right to ask for a refund? I have tried everything they have suggested and given it time. They are not fit for purpose and are now gathering dust.
Added (1). @Who.
thanks for answering a question i didnt ask.
I have been wearing glasses since i was 18. Thats 5 diff pair of glasses and none of them have had this problem. I have even wore NHS budget ones. I am aware that glasses reflect however they are not supposed to 'mirror' an image that is infront of you. This is imperfection in the lense and the way it is manufactured. The lenses i bought were the best they had on offer (99% reduced reflection).
Added (2). P.s The reflection is not coming from the edge as the frames now fully cover the polished edges. When they are fully covered the 'mirror' still happens. It is only when the edge + 2-3MM of either side is covered that the mirror vanishes. As the optician said "It's low quality goods. At the price you paid you shouldn't be getting this. I would expect to see this on low quality e-bay made to measure lenses"

Read more: Should I even bother trying for a refund?