Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Workers comp or short term disability?

Well. I've been on my job for 3+ years now. I sit in front of a PC all day and type. Before I was here I had a vision problem in my right - kerataconis. It was bad, but I didn't have vision problems because my left eye was strong and fine. Ever since working this job and staring at this monitor for so long, my eyes started becoming weaker. First I requested a LCD monitor. They got me a 17 inch. It helped a little, but my eyes still get fatigued quick. I then paid for a gas permeable lens for my eye - costed almost $200 cash. It slightly helped but was extremely uncomfortable - it felt like something cratching my eye. I wore it for 1 month but it distracted me from my job - constantly rubbing and watering eyes. I stopped wearing the lens everyday because I just cant tolerate it. Also it was not really helping because my left eye was still straining to keep up. A few months later I tried to wear the lens and either my condition has worsened (coning of the eye - kerataconis) or I don't know because I can't even see out of it anymore. Its blurry and hurts bad.

My question is - does any of this qualify for short term disability or workers comp? I can no longer see my screen at work and I have to see to do my job. My condition definitely worsened since I started this job. Before I was able to see fine - I was unemployed for some time prior to this job though. Now, I am practically blind when I leave work. I have to sit in my car for about 1/2 hour to regain enough strength to drive home. I need some time off because I cannot see my optometrist again until March 2014 - only 1 exam per year otherwise its all out of pocket. I need to find another job that doesn't require staring at a monitor for 8 hours. If I quit my job, will I be able to get unemployment. I know voluntary quit disqualifies me from UI, but I can no longer work my job safely. Any help, info,links will be great. I live in Ohio.

Читать далее: Workers comp or short term disability?