Sunday, January 19, 2014

How bad would my shortsightedness interfere with surgical work?

I have myopia alta diagnosed from a young age (8 yrs old) and have -6 dpt on left and -7 dpt on my right eye. I would like to now if it is a good idea to opt for a surgical career (neuro or cardiac chirurgy) then? I would say I have an excellent dexterity, physical stamina needed, good spatial and visual perception (a keen eye for details), and an ambition, if that counts.
Could my myopia be successfully mitigated using lenses or surgical glasses, or both?
Would I be looked weird upon on being a shortsighted surgeon (well if I become one)? Would it be harder for me getting a job after I finish my residency?
I am a premed student (20 yrs old), so I've never acctually been in the OR.
If it weren't such a good idea, what other specialties, similar to surgery by some means, would you recommend? (I hope this doesn't sound like I disgrace other medical specialties, I'm just trying to find something that suits me.)
Added (1). @ Christin K I do wear glasses or contact lenses depending on occasion. And from my experience with lenses I don't see so well in close as with glasses. But glasses of such a high dyoptria make everything smaller. So I am afraid I my not be able to see that much detail.
As well, I might take a laser eye surgery if it would lessen my myopia and leave me with the ability to see as precise as with naked eye if I approached closer.

Читать далее: How bad would my shortsightedness interfere with surgical work?