Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Could a bit of glass have gotten in my eye?

So ~3 hours ago I was in art class minding my own business when about 2-3 feet away my tablemate started using a hammer to hit a shard of mirror (it was for a project). The shard broke really suddenly and I heard pieces scatter on the table in front of me; the other two people sitting nearby also commented on it. I didn't know she was going to do that or I would have moved away; she had already broken some of the mirror and I thought she was finished.

I've heard that little pieces of foreign material can get into your eye without you realizing so I'm freaking out a little bit. I was looking down at my own work and I had my prescription lenses on, but she was at a right angle to me and the lenses don't curve all the way around my eye.

I haven't had any symptoms; no discomfort, pain, irritation, blurriness, nothing. I also didn't actually see any little bits of mirror coming towards my face and I didn't notice any pieces on my clothes. The mirror was made out of cheap material and my hammer-happy classmate (who wasn't wearing safety goggles) and the teacher were able to easily pick up the shards and put them on the sculpture without being cut. I felt a little itchy at one point for like 2 seconds a while ago but nothing unusual.

I told my mom about it in case she wanted to go to my optometrist. She didn't think it was a big deal since I was wearing glasses and the material was really cheap so it probably doesn't shatter like glass.

Is it possible that any bits of the mirror got in my eye without me noticing? I have a thing about health issues (especially eye health) so I can't tell if I'm overreacting. Thank you.

Читать далее: Could a bit of glass have gotten in my eye?