Friday, May 26, 2017

Multiple layer anti-reflective coating on glasses lens?

I went to an optician to order a new pair of prescription glasses and she said AR coating quality lasts about a year before diminishing, and she asked how often do I change my glasses, and I told her roughly 2 years when I'm able able to do another eye exam. So she recommended that I get a thicker layer of AR coating (essentially 2 layers of coating) so that its stronger and lasts longer. And that doing this also reduces the amount of fingerprint smudging.

I was trying to see the practicality in this, and I don't see the logic in this. Is this practice such a thing? Does it really work like the way she explained? Or is she just trying to make some extra bucks? She sold me on it anyway, and now I feel kind of regretful. Someone tell me if she is right or wrong?

Read more: Multiple layer anti-reflective coating on glasses lens?