Thursday, January 21, 2016

Is sleeping past 12:30 really that bad?


I'm 14, so I guess every single adult on here would be saying yes. But the problem is, even though I'm not necessarily an insomniac, I've always had trouble falling asleep in the night. My mum wants to blame it on electronic devices; that's not even the case. Even at school CAMP, when I've been active the whole day and not touched one single device, I'm always the one just lying in bed at 2 am struggling to sleep (2 other girls are in the other room watching TV…).

This is heightened by the fact that I have really old night contacts (hard gas contact lenses). Ik this might not make sense to people who've never worn them, but basically since mine are so old they're uncomfortable and make it even harder for me to fall asleep - I oftenly have to get up 2 or 3 times a night to redo them.

Basically, these same contact lenses wake me up at 6 usually (I take them out). Once I wake up, I can't fall asleep. I'm typing this right now because I can't. I literally don't feel tired at all; I lay on my bed until I can't stand it anymore.

I WILL feel tired later on - but at a very awkward time. It's always around 8 in the night and once this passes I can't fall asleep again. I can't nap either - that'll make everything worse.

So what can I do? There's no way I can possibly 'reform' my sleeping schedule if the situation is like this. Simply lying on my bed and counting sheep WON'T WORK.
And seriously, every single teen I know (that's a LOT of people) do this, with NO negative effects.
Added (1). NOTE: By no negative effects I mean no negative effects on their study in class (just like me, I'm a straight A student). They oftenly stay up to 3 am. Seriously, it's common for our geniuses here.

I'm not kidding when I say I know a lot of people. I play League too, and I often have up to 40 friends awake at 1 am.
Added (2). Also, just saying, I'm not one of those people whose bodies' compensate for falling asleep in school. I'm wide awake the whole time.

Read more: Is sleeping past 12:30 really that bad?