Friday, January 22, 2016

Any recommendations on similar contacts?


About a year or so ago, I was in AcuVue Oasys. -6.00 both eyes, 8.4BC 14.0 DIA

When my insurance was renewed for the year, another eye doctor switched me to AcuVue Advance Plus. -6.00 in both eyes, 8.7BC (he said that the previous prescription had my base curve either too flat or too sharp) and 14.0 DIA. He put me in those with the 8.7 base curve and they seemed to see a lot more clearly, felt more comfortable and such.

I went back to my old eye doctor (insurance reasons at my new job) when I needed more contacts. Had my exam and such done. Advance wasn't available, of course. Tried Air Optix… Tried AcuVue 2… They were way too thin and very hard to put in (folding over on my finger when I touched them to my eye), and I have worn contacts for over a decade. We kept changing the prescription back and forth.

They have discontinued all Advance brands. Apparently Oasys is still available in 12 packs, but the 6 pack appears to have been discontinued.

What's is the real difference between the 8.4 BC and 8.7 BC? I remember my current eye doctor saying that with my eyes, I should be pretty versatile in being able to wear pretty much anything. I remember the 8.4 being a little uncomfortable, but that may have been an older version of the Oasys that they might have improved on now and I can't say for sure that it was actually the base curve.

I still have a prescription for AcuVue Oasys 8.4 BC. They apparently discontinued the 6 pack and still make the 12 pack.
Added (1). I'm thinking of ordering just one box of the Oasys 8.4 (they only come in 8.8 and 8.4 through the company I order from, apparently) and seeing how comfortable they are. Then I could order more later.

I know that this isn't the place to ask for random advice for strangers. However, I'm tired of running to the eye doctor to "try something else." I think she's getting tired of changing my prescription, too. Is anything else similar to Oasys or Advance Plus?

Read more: Any recommendations on similar contacts?