Sunday, January 17, 2016

Is my eyesight good enough for the Parachute Regiment?


So I'm British if you didn't already work it out. I am already in the Application process.
So when I got my prescription paperwork from the opticians, I was happy that my eyesight was good enough to join the PARAs, I think my left eye was 2.50, and my right eye was 2.75, the standard for the Army is 6.00. This was a few months before I started my application.
So about December time I received my medical form through email, I printed it out and realised I had to take a visit to the opticians, so I went to see the optician, who said he had done this before and he knew the Army standards.
So luckily I didn't have to have another eye test, as it wasn't time, he just filled the form out for me. When I was talking to him he was asking me about my job choices etc. He then went on to say that usually when you go for an Army medical, they like you to be able to see the third line down on the board without using glasses, and here's the problem, I can barely even see the giant A at the top of the board.
I didn't think this would be a problem as my optic strength is pretty weak compared to the standards, and in training and out on patrols, I was planning on wearing contact lenses anyway, so I can see perfect and spot enemy targets from distances, and then wear my glasses when not doing any of the above.

Would this be okay and would I pass my medical?

Read more: Is my eyesight good enough for the Parachute Regiment?