Sunday, November 9, 2014

Two separate and different eyeglass prescriptions? How is this possible?

When I was two, I was diagnosed as far-sighted and wore very heavy prescription glasses until I was 14 when I no longer needed glasses. I went for eye exams every two years and did not need prescriptions. I am now 29 and telecommute from a computer all day. I have been getting eye strain, red eyes, headaches, and nausea/dizzyness for a few months now, especially when on a computer. I went to a new optometrist and did a complete eye exam, including fundus photos and dilation. This is the prescription he wrote me:
OD:
Sphere: plus075, Cylinder: minus025, Axis: 117
OS:
Sphere: plus025, Cylinder: minus025, Axis: 177
He checked off SV, P.D. Near (not distance), and plastic

Then I decided to do another experiment. I wanted to see if I went to another optometrist if he would give me the same or different prescription. This is what the other one gave me:
OD: PC OR PL (Can't read his handwriting)/ minus0.25x115
OS: minus0.25/minus0.25/004

When I went to get the eyeglasses made- they said I should get both. The first prescription for the computer/anything involving less than nine feet, the second prescription for driving at night/anything involving more than nine feet.

Should I get both glasses or one? How is it possible to get two totally different prescriptions- one saying I'm nearsighted, the other saying I'm far-sighted and with different axis?

Thank you for reading.

How s

Read more: Two separate and different eyeglass prescriptions? How is this possible?