Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Concerned about my poor vision?

I'm a teenage girl and no one (absolutely no one) in my family has ever had bad eyesight. Over the past few weeks, I noticed my vision deteriorating so I got a glasses and contacts exam and here are the results:

Right Eye: -1.25 -0.25 Axis 180
Left Eye: -1.50

Left eye visual acuity: 20/200 (my parents were quite shocked by this)

Right eye: 20/80

The optometrist's assistant said my prescription was 'slight'. He made jokes about how weak it is, but when I wore the trial lenses, they made a world of a difference.

Because no one's ever worn glasses in my family before, I don't have a baseline for how dependent I am on correction. The contacts I wore in the trial helped a lot, but the assistant's comments made me feel like they might not be necessary at this stage.

Can someone who has experience with bad vision please provide some 'clarity' (pun intended).
Added (1). Emily, I was actually seeing pretty well with a -1.00 in the right eye. I think that the doctor initially wanted to keep that eye's prescription at -1.00 but I preferred -1.25 in the subjective trials. On the flip side, my left eye was pretty close to -1.75 but the doctor decided I was seeing well enough with -1.50. The astigmatism in the right eye was ignored for my contacts.
Added (2). Footprintz, I could only see the 'E'.

Read more: Concerned about my poor vision?